Slava Isusu Christu! Slava i vo viki! + Glory to Jesus Christ! Glory forever!
From the Fathers of the Church…
St. John Climacus
Fear is a childish feeling of the adult but empty soul. Fear is really a lack of faith that becomes obvious when we think of what unforeseen things might happen. It is lack of trust in God. The proud soul is a slave to fear precisely because it trusts in itself and so shudders at any noise or any shadow. Those who are contrite for their sins have no fear. So if there are places where you are normally afraid to go, do not hesitate to frequent them even at the dead of night, armed with prayer. Your fear is a childish and ridiculous thing, but if you give way to it only a little, it will take root in your heart and stay with you. So arm yourself with prayer and when you reach the spot lambaste the enemy in the name of Jesus. There is no stronger weapon in earth or heaven than that. And when you are cured of your fear, sing the praises of the One who has freed you. If you thank him, he will always protect you. Sometimes only the body is afraid and the fear has not spread to the soul, then you are nearly cured. The one who serves God, fears his Lord and no other. The one who does not fear his Lord is scared even of his own shadow.
· Last Sunday, 68 souls came to pray at St. Philip’s, our tithes to the Lord were $___, donations $___, candles $__, Bishop’s Appeal $___. Thank you for supporting our church, may God bless you abundantly for your generosity. Please consider making St. Philip’s parish a part of your estate planning.
· Prayer requests. Fr. Jozef, Fr. Randall, Fr. Martin, Fr. Ted, Fr. Brendan, Sr. Patricia, Oceana, Gary and Ingrid, Margaret and Don, Walter, Adam, Margaret, Becky, Alexis, Marion, Rachel, Curtis, Ronald, Taylor, Margaret, Mary, Lorrie, Cantor Gene, Jonathan, Camden, Rosa.
· Hospitality sign-up sheet: Apr 2 – open, Apr 9 – open, Apr 16 – Pascha potluck. Please sign up for hospitality for the upcoming Sundays; the signup sheet is in the parish hall. Thank you to Janson family for providing hospitality for us last Sunday.
· Annual “Fish-Fry and Pirohy Dinner” is on April 8th this year. The dinner is served 4:30-7:30PM, take out available. Buy tickets at the door, $10 adult, $5 child, $40 family. We would love to see you all at our dinner, please bring a friend.
· Bishop’s Appeal 2017. This year, the goal for our parish is $____ ($____per household), the deadline for the Appeal is May 31st. Please send your pledges to the parish office today! Up to date we have received 7 pledges and $_____ in contributions.
· Fish-Fry and Pirohy Dinner. Thank you to the pirohy crew for their hard work yesterday. We are in need of volunteers to serve the dinner. Please contact Ted Janson if you can help.
· Advisory board meetings. I would like to move our advisory board monthly check-in to the second Sunday of the month. The meetings will take place after lunch as usual. Please note the meetings are not private, if any parishioner would like to join, they are welcome. Also, if you have anything to discuss concerning our parish, bring it to our attention (tell or send a note to a member or pastor).
· Alive in Christ – ascetical boot camp for boys and men will take place in Prescott, AZ this year, July 6th – 9th. Application deadline is May 12th. For more information, see the flyer in the entry way.
6 PM Liturgy of the Presanctified Gifts.
3 PM Akathistos to the Holy Mother of God.
8:30 AM Confessions.
9 AM Prayers
9:30 AM Divine Liturgy.
5th Sunday of the Great Fast. Tone 5.
For Confession, please come half an hour before the scheduled services, or schedule an appointment. Wednesdays and Fridays of Great Fast are days of simple abstinence from meat foods, however, we are encouraged to follow a stricter fasting rule (traditionally, no meat, dairy, oil, fish, wine during Great Fast, some exceptions are in place for special days). Let us remember one another as we offer our prayers and sacrifices to the Lord.