O Holy Apostle Philip,
Intercede with the merciful God
That he may grant our souls forgiveness of sins.
Glory to Jesus Christ! Glory for ever! + Slava Isusu Christu! Slava i vo viki!
From the Fathers of the Church …
St. Cyprian of Carthage
How will you love your enemies and pray for your adversaries and persecutors? We see what happened in the case of Stephen. When he was being killed by the violence and stones of the Jews, he did not ask for vengeance but forgiveness for his murderers, saying: “O Lord, do not lay this sin against them.” So it was most fitting that the first martyr for Christ who, in preceding by his glorious death the martyrs that were to come, was not only a preacher of the Lord’s suffering but also an imitator of his most patient gentleness.
St. Basil the Great
“Lend to those from whom you do not hope to receive in return.” “And what sort of a loan is this,” he says, “to which there is no hope of a return attached?” Consider the force of the statement, and you will admire the kindness of the Lawmaker. When you have the intention of providing for a poor person for the Lord’s sake, it is at the same time both a gift and a loan. It is a gift because of the expectation of no repayment, but a loan because of the great gift of the Master who pays in his place and who, receiving trifling things through a poor person, will give great things in return for them.
The traces of the divine image are clearly recognized not through the likeness of the body, which undergoes corruption, but through the intelligence of the soul. We see the divine image in its righteousness, temperance, courage, wisdom, discipline, and through the entire chorus of virtues that are present essentially in God. These can be in people through effort and the imitation of God, as also the Lord points out in the Gospel when he says, “Be merciful, even as your Father is merciful” and “Be perfect, as your Father is perfect.”
- Last Sunday, 58 souls came to pray at St. Philip’s, our tithes to the Lord were $, candles $, donations $, air conditioner $. Thank you for supporting our church, may God bless you abundantly for your generosity.
- Please consider making St. Philip’s parish a part of your estate planning.
- Prayer requests. Fr. Mel, Fr. Marcus, Fr. Chris, Fr. Randall, Fr. Peter, Fr. Michal, Sr. Patricia, Br. Gideon, Gary and Ingrid, Margaret and Don, Margaret, Oceana, Becky, Alexis, Marion, Curtis, Ronald, Jeannine, Taylor, Lorrie, Frances, Alex, Leroy, Michael, Adam, Thomas, Ellen, Ernestina, Carol, Nash.
- Hospitality signup sheet:Sep 29 – Baker family, Oct 6 – Darlene Janson, Oct 13 – open. Please sign up for hospitality for the upcoming Sundays; the signup sheet is in the parish hall. Thank you to Nola Bardin for providing hospitality for us last Sunday.
- Christmas in Eastern Europe Festival is around the corner. Please join us today, September 29, at 11:15 in the parish hall for a brief planning session. We need to schedule baking/cooking days and a cleaning day.
- Clergy Medical Insurance Collection on Sunday, October 13, 2019. This Eparchial special collection helps subsidize the health insurance premiums for our pastors. God bless your continued support and generosity!
- Check out our resurrected gift shop, it is beautiful! You can buy booklets, cards, small gifts and more. Proceeds from sales go towards new inventory and to our parish. If you have ideas about what items you would like to see in our gift shop, let Fr. Francis know.
- Air conditioner at church will be replaced soon. We are one step closer, now looking for a contractor to complete this project. We have some funds allocated for this project, now you have an opportunity to participate. When you make a donation, please mark it “air conditioner,” we will direct it to our building fund and use it to finance this important project. Thank you for your generosity.
- 2019 ONLINE EDUCATIONAL OFFERINGS – All courses are offered as live webinars, free of charge. Register at: www.EasternCatholic.org/eventsMaking Disciples – by Fr. Alexander Wroblicky; The art of bringing others to Christ, Wednesdays, October 9, 16 & 23 @5:00-6:00 pm PST
The Gift of God – by Rev. David Anderson; Preparing for the Feast of the Nativity, Wednesday, December 16 @5:00-6:00 pm PST
- Our Lady of the Rosary Maronite Catholic Church invites to their annual American Lebanese & Middle Eastern Festival on October 12-13. For details, go to: www.maronite-sac.org.
|Tue||Oct 1st||5:30 PM Divine Liturgy.||Protection of the Holy Mother of God. Solemn Feast.|
|Sun||Oct 6th||8:30 AM Confessions.
9:10 AM Office of the 3rd Hour
9:30 AM Divine Liturgy.
|17th Sunday after Pentecost. Tone 8. Cantor: Tim Del Castillo. Reader: Tim Belke.|
For Confession, please come half an hour before the scheduled services, or schedule an appointment. Fridays in general are days of penance and fasting, we observe simple abstinence from meat foods. Let us remember one another as we offer our prayers and sacrifices to God.