O Holy Apostle Philip,
Intercede with the merciful God
That he may grant our souls forgiveness of sins.
*** *** ***
Slava Isusu Christu! Slava i vo viki! + Glory to Jesus Christ! Glory for ever!
From the Fathers of the Church…
St. Cyril of Alexandria
In great misery and nakedness, he wandered among the graves of the dead. He was in utter wretchedness, leading a disgraceful life. He was a proof of the cruelty of the demons and a plain demonstration of their impurity. … Whoever they possess and subject to their power, at once they make him an example of great misery, deprived of every blessing, destitute of all sobriety, and entirely deprived even of reason.
Some say, “Why do they possess people?” I answer those who wish to have this explained that the reason of these things is very deep. Somewhere one of his saints addressed God by saying, “Your judgments are a vast abyss.” As long as we bear this in mind, we will perhaps not miss the mark. The God of all purposely permits some to fall into their power. He does not do this so that they may suffer but that we may learn by their example how the demons treat us and may avoid the desire of being subject to them. The suffering of one edifies many.
· Last Sunday, 62 souls came to pray at St. Philip’s, our tithes to the Lord were $, donations $, candles $, Clergy Medical $. Thank you for supporting our church, may God bless you abundantly for your generosity. Please consider making St. Philip’s parish a part of your estate planning.
· Prayer requests. Fr. Jozef, Fr. Randall, Fr. Martin, Fr. Brendan, Fr. Ted & Barbara, Sr. Patricia, Gary and Ingrid, Margaret and Don, Walter, Adam, Margaret, Oceana, Becky, Alexis, Marion, Rachel, Curtis, Ronald, Taylor, Margaret, Mary, Lorrie, Cantor Gene, Jonathan, Rosa, Frances, Maros, Alex, Ted, Eva.
· Hospitality signup sheet: Nov 5 – McDonough family, Nov 12 – Prescott family, Nov 19 – open. Please sign up for hospitality for the upcoming Sundays; the signup sheet is in the parish hall. Thank you to the Baker family for providing hospitality for us last Sunday.
· Advisory Board meeting next Sunday, Nov 5th. Please stay on Sunday after hospitality (at 11:30), for a brief update and check in with the current parish matters.
· Special collection for Priest Medical Insurance. Thank you for your generosity, we have contributed total of $ to this collection.
· Baking Day, on Saturday, October 28th. Thank you to our volunteers who gathered for baking day yesterday: Ted and Darlene Janson, Diane Hassell, Barbara Esquerra, Barbara Pompei, Betsy and Hannah Prescott, Aisha, Maia, and Faustina Ruby, Cantor Gene Ford, Amy Seyfried, Theresa Vinciguerra. Thank you for your time and hard work.
· Exterior painting. Special thanks go to our painters who on Monday finished the work on the southern exterior wall of our church building: Steve Prescott, Cantor Gene Ford, George, Mark and Michael.
· Our church grounds look beautiful, thanks to hard work of our Robert Dean.
· To all our volunteers: May God grant you many blessed years, for your time, hard work and dedication to our parish.
· Christmas around the World Festival on November 11th. Please visit our table at the Annunciation Orthodox Church (616 Alhambra Blvd, Sacramento, CA 995816), 10AM – 5PM, for a day of Christmas shopping and traditional foods sampling.
· PILGRIM VOCATION ICON As we pray for the Lord to have mercy on our church and send us good and holy shepherds, remember especially the children and youth of our parish, for the grace to desire God’s will for their lives, and to discern and follow their vocation. Vocation icon schedule: Oct 22 – Agayoff family, Oct 29 – Dean family, Nov 5 – Belke family, Nov 12 – Nick Wroblicky family. (To sign up, please contact Jon & Abby Burke, or Fr. Francis.)
6:30 AM Divine Liturgy.
6 PM Vespers.
8:30 AM Confessions.
9:30 AM Divine Liturgy.
22nd Sunday after Pentecost. Tone 5.
Cantor: Gene Ford.
For Confession, please come half an hour before the scheduled services, or schedule an appointment.
Fridays in general are days of penance, we observe abstinence from meat foods. Let us remember one another as we offer our prayers and sacrifices to the Lord.