Glory to Jesus Christ! Glory to Him forever! + Slava Isusu Christu! Slava i vo viki!
From the Fathers of the Church …
St. Ambrose of Milan
Ambrose: Would that Jesus would cast a glance on me still lying under that barren fig tree, and that my fig tree might also after three years bear fruit. But how can sinners have that kind of hope? If only that gospel dresser of the vineyard, perhaps already bidden to cut down my fig tree, would at least let it alone this year also, until he digs around it and fertilizes it so that he may by some chance lift the helpless out of the dust and lift the poor out of the mire… The fig tree, that is, the tempting attraction of the pleasures of the world, still overshadows me, low in height, brittle for working, soft for use and barren of fruit.
St. Augustine of Hippo
Fasting cleanses the soul, raises the mind, subjects ones flesh to the spirit, renders the heart contrite and humble, scatters the clouds of concupiscence, quenches the fires of lust, kindles the true light of chastity.
- Dear Parishioners and Friends, during our gatherings, please follow all health and safety precautions issued by civil authorities. Use the space to allow distance between households, follow proper way of receiving Holy Communion. Per parish guidelines, consider your and others’ safety when coming to church, if you feel sick, you can choose to follow Sunday liturgy online, or pray the Typika. When in doubt, consult your decision with your pastor/confessor. Dispensation from Sunday attendance given by Bishop John for the faithful of our Eparchy is in effect at this time. Please know that you and your intentions are remembered on the altar at St. Philip’s. For confession and other needs, please contact Fr. Francis directly and make an appointment.
- Tithes and Donations. Last Sunday, we received in tithes $, donations $, Building Fund $, candles $. Thank you for your generosity, may God bless you always.
- Prayer requests. Fr. Michael, Fr. Marcus, Fr. Chris, Fr. Randall, Fr. Michal, Sr. Patricia, Margaret, Gary and Ingrid, Margaret, Slawomir and Oceana, Becky, Alexis, Marion, Curtis, Ronald, Jeannine, Taylor, Lorrie, Frances, Alex, Leroy, Michael, Thomas, Carol, Michael, Jennifer, John, Elizabeth, Judy, Ruth, Dimitri, Christie, Viktoria.
- All Souls Saturday. Next all souls is on February 27. If you have not sent your family list for all souls to the office, you can do so by email, or place it in the collection basket.
- Special Collection for Aide for the church in Central & Eastern Europewill be taken today. Please mark your donation “Church in Eastern Europe” if you send your donation in after today. Through Bishop’s Conferences in Central and Eastern Europe and the Ex-Soviet Union, this aid assist in the training of seminarians and lay church leaders, church sponsored social service programs, youth ministry, pastoral and catechetical centers, school and church construction/ renovation, and evangelization through the use of Catholic. Proceeds: 100% to Office of National Collections for the Church in Eastern Europe.
- Great Fast. Minimum fasting discipline for the faithful of our Eparchy is meatless Wednesdays and Fridays. Traditionally, we fast from meat and dairy for the entire Great Fast and Holy Week, allowing for oil, fish and/or wine on the weekends and some festal days.
- From the Eparchial Vocations office: Answering God’s Call: “Where your treasure is, your heart will be also”. It is easy to mistake what our true treasure is, and we need wisdom and insight to see clearly. Our kontakion tells us that God is the “guide to wisdom and giver of insight”. Is he guiding you to see that a vocation to the religious or ordained life is for you? As you pray and seek wisdom, consider contacting the Vocations Office at 206-329-9219 or email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Lenten talks by Fr. Chris Zugger, a retired priest of our Eparchy: March 2 – on the Passion of Christ; March 16 – The Seven Last Words of Christ from the Cross. Both talks start at 6:30 PM Mountain Time, on Youtube at OLPH Media; you can watch live online or at your convenience.
Until further notice, social distancing and health safety provisions issued by local government are in place. When at St. Philip’s follow the guidelines issued on May 31.
|Wed||Feb 24th||5:30 PM Liturgy of the Presanctified Gifts.|
|Sat||Feb 27th||8 AM Divine Liturgy.||Second All-Souls Saturday.|
|8:30 AM Confessions.
9:30 AM Divine Liturgy of St. Basil.
|Second Sunday of the Great Fast. Tone 6.|
For Confession, please call Fr. Francis for an appointment.
During the Great Fast, Wednesday and Friday abstinence from meat foods is the minimum fasting discipline. Let us remember one another as we offer our prayers and sacrifices to the Lord.