O Holy Apostle Philip,
Intercede with the merciful God
That he may grant our souls forgiveness of sins.
Glory to Jesus Christ! Glory for ever! + Slava Isusu Christu! Slava i vo viki!
From the Fathers of the Church …
St. John Chrysostom
But we are able to see Christ’s inexpressible love for man not only from the cross itself but also from the words which He spoke whilst upon the cross. At the very time when He was nailed and they were mocking Him, deriding Him and spitting upon Him, He said: “Father, forgive them for they do not know what they do” (Luke 23:34)… At the same time that they were saying, “If You are the Son of God save Yourself,” He was accomplishing everything necessary to save these same ones who were reproaching Him. … He did forgive them, if they wished to repent, because if He had not forgiven them this sin, Paul would not have become an apostle;’ if He had not forgiven them this sin, the three thousand and the five thousand, and the many other thousands, would not have immediately believed.
From the Great Vespers
Shine, Cross of the Lord, shine with the light of thy grace upon the hearts of those that honor thee. With love inspired by God, we embrace thee, O desire of all the world. Through thee our tears of sorrow have been wiped away: we have been delivered from the snares of death and have passed over to unending joy. Show us the glory of thy beauty and grant to us thy servants the reward of our abstinence, for we entreat with faith thy rich protection and great mercy. Hail! life-giving Cross, the fair Paradise of the Church, Tree of incorruption that brings us the enjoyment of eternal glory: through thee the hosts of demons have been driven back; and the hierarchies of angels rejoice with one accord, as the congregations of the faithful keep the feast. Thou art an invincible weapon, an unbroken stronghold; thou art the victory of kings and the glory of priests. Grant us now to draw near to the Passion of Christ and to His Resurrection. Hail! life-giving Cross, unconquerable trophy of the true faith, door to Paradise, succor of the faithful, rampart set about the Church. Through thee the curse is utterly destroyed, the power of death is swallowed up, and we are raised from earth to heaven: invincible weapon, adversary of demons, glory of martyrs, true ornament of holy monks, haven of salvation bestowing on the world great mercy. Come, Adam and Eve, our first father and mother, who fell from the choir on high through the envy of the murderer of man, when of old with bitter pleasure ye tasted from the tree in Paradise. See, the Tree of the Cross, revered by all, draws near! Run with haste and embrace it joyfully, and cry to it with faith: O precious Cross, thou art our succor; partaking of thy fruit, we have gained incorruption; we are restored once more to Eden, and we have received great mercy. Glory be to the Father, and to the Son, and to the Holy Spirit, now and ever and unto ages of ages, Amen.
- Last Sunday, 36 souls came to pray at St. Philip’s, our tithes to the Lord were $, Donations $, Building fund $, candles $, Servers’ Vestments donation $. Thank you for supporting our church, may God bless you abundantly for your generosity.
- Please consider making St. Philip’s parish a part of your estate planning.
- Prayer requests. Fr. Stephen, Fr. Michael, Fr. Mel, Fr. Marcus, Fr. Chris, Fr. Randall, Fr. Michal, Sr. Patricia, Br. Gideon, Gary and Ingrid, Margaret and Don, Margaret, Slawomir and Oceana, Becky, Alexis, Marion, Curtis, Ronald, Jeannine, Taylor, Lorrie, Frances, Alex, Leroy, Michael, Adam, Thomas, Ellen, Ernestina, Carol, Nash, Michael, Jennifer, John, Jeffrey.
- Hospitality signup sheet: Mar 15 – Murin family, Mar 22 – Prescott family, Mar 29 – Darlene and Theresa. Please sign up for hospitality for the upcoming Sundays; the signup sheet is in the parish hall. Thank you to Amy Seyfried who provided hospitality for us last Sunday.
- Helpers for our Fish Fry Pirohy Dinner still needed. If you mentioned specific way you can help, stay alert. We may still need helpers for the day of the event, and for food preparation (pirohy making). Please let Father know if you are available to help.
- Sixth Annual Fish Fry and Pirohy Dinner. God willing, Come on April 4, Lazarus Saturday. 4-7 PM, bring friends. Tickets at the door, $12 Adult, $6 Child, $35 Family. We’ll serve Fish, Fries, Pirohy, Salad and Desert.
- Our Gift Shop has some new titles with themes for Great Fast and Holy Week, and more. Come and see.
- Eparchial Appeal 2020 is upon us. The goal of the Appeal is for every household to contribute. Our Parish goal is $, to this day, 2 households participated, giving total of $. You can pick up the envelope with information and pledge form at the narthex of the church. Please send your pledge cards and donations directly to the Eparchy of Phoenix. Please support our Eparchy, support our Church.
- All Souls Saturdays are days dedicated to praying for our departed brothers and sisters. Please remember to submit the list of your family members (last name of your family, and first names of those you wish remembered) to the parish office. Next All Souls is on March 21.
- Liturgical schedule
|Mar 18th||5:30 PM Liturgy of the Presanctified Gifts.|
|Mar 21st||8 AM Divine Liturgy and Panychida.||Fourth All Souls Saturday.|
|Mar 22nd||8:30 AM Confessions.
9:30 AM Divine Liturgy of St. Basil.
|4th Sunday of Great Fast – St. John of the Ladder. Tone 8.Cantor: Tim Del Castillo. Reader: Steve Prescott.|
For Confession, please come half an hour before the scheduled services, or schedule an appointment.During the Great Fast, we observe at minimum abstinence from meat foods on Wednesdays and Fridays. Let us remember one another as we offer our prayers and sacrifices to God.