O Holy Apostle Philip,
Intercede with the merciful God
That He may grant our souls forgiveness of sins.
Glory to Jesus Christ! Glory for ever! + Slava Isusu Christu! Slava i vo viki!
From the Fathers of the Church …
St. John Chrysostom
Fasting is a medicine. But medicine, as beneficial as it is, becomes useless because of the inexperience of the user. He has to know the appropriate time that the medicine should be taken and the right amount of medicine and the condition of the body, which is to take it, the weather conditions and the season of the year and the appropriate diet of the sick and many other things. If any of these things are overlooked, the medicine will do more harm than good. …The value of fasting consists not only in avoiding certain foods, but in giving up of sinful practices. The person who limits his fast only to abstaining from meat is the one who especially lowers the value of it. …Do you fast? Prove it by doing good works. If you see someone in need, take pity on them. If you see a friend being honored, don’t get jealous of him. For a true fast, you cannot fast only with your mouth. You must fast with your eye, your ear, your feet, your hands, and all parts of your body. …Besides fasting with your mouth by not eating certain foods, your mouth should also fast from foul language or telling lies about others. For what good is it if you don’t eat meat or poultry, and yet you bite and devour your fellow man?
- Last Sunday, 46 souls came to pray at St. Philip’s, our tithes to the Lord were $, Donations $, Building fund $, candles $, Religious Education fund $. Thank you for supporting our church, may God bless you abundantly for your generosity.
- Please consider making St. Philip’s parish a part of your estate planning.
- Prayer requests. Fr. Stephen, Fr. Michael, Fr. Mel, Fr. Marcus, Fr. Chris, Fr. Randall, Fr. Michal, Sr. Patricia, Br. Gideon, Gary and Ingrid, Margaret and Don, Margaret, Slawomir and Oceana, Becky, Alexis, Marion, Curtis, Ronald, Jeannine, Taylor, Lorrie, Frances, Alex, Leroy, Michael, Adam, Thomas, Ellen, Ernestina, Carol, Nash, Michael, Jennifer, John, Jeffrey.
- Hospitality signup sheet: Mar 8 – Molly and Amy, Mar 15 – Murin family, Mar 22 – Prescott family, Mar 29 – Darlene and Theresa. Please sign up for hospitality for the upcoming Sundays; the signup sheet is in the parish hall. Thank you to Agayoff family (two weeks ago) and Steven who provided hospitality for us last Sunday.
- Helpers for our Fish Fry Pirohy Dinner still needed. If you mentioned specific way you can help, stay alert. We still need helpers for the day of the event, and for food preparation (pirohy making). Please let Father know if you are available to help.
- Sixth Annual Fish Fry and Pirohy Dinner. Come on April 4, Lazarus Saturday. 4-7 PM, bring friends. Tickets at the door, $12 Adult, $6 Child, $35 Family. We’ll serve Fish, Fries, Pirohy, Salad and Desert.
- Our Gift Shop has some new titles with themes for Great Fast and Holy Week, and more. Come and see.
- Eparchial Appeal 2020 is upon us. The goal of the Appeal is for every household to contribute. Our Parish goal is $, to this day, 2 households participated, giving total of $. You can pick up the envelope with information and pledge form at the narthex of the church. Please send you pledge cards and donations directly to the Eparchy of Phoenix. Please support our Eparchy, support our Church.
- All Souls Saturdays are days dedicated to praying for our departed brothers and sisters. Please remember to submit the list of your family members (last name of your family, and first names of those you wish remembered) to the parish office. Next All Souls is on March 14. Liturgical schedule
|Mar 11th||5:30 PM Liturgy of the Presanctified Gifts.|
|Mar 14th||8 AM Divine Liturgy and Panychida.||Second All Souls Saturday.|
|Mar 15th||8:30 AM Confessions.
9:30 AM Divine Liturgy of St. Basil.
|3rd Sunday of Great Fast – Veneration of the Holy Cross. Tone 6. Cantor: Amy Seyfried. Reader: Tim Del Castillo.|
For Confession, please come half an hour before the scheduled services, or schedule an appointment.During the Great Fast, we observe at minimum abstinence from meat foods on Wednesdays and Fridays. Let us remember one another as we offer our prayers and sacrifices to God.