O Holy Apostle Philip,
Intercede with the merciful God
That he may grant our souls forgiveness of sins.
Glory to Jesus Christ! Glory for ever! + Slava Isusu Christu! Slava i vo viki!
Wisdom of the Desert Fathers
St. John of the Ladder
Repentance is the renewal of baptism. Repentance is a contract with God for a second life. A penitent is a buyer of humility. Repentance is constant distrust of bodily comfort. Repentance is self-condemning reflection, and carefree self-care. Repentance is the daughter of hope and the renunciation of despair. A penitent is an undisgraced convict. Repentance is reconciliation with the Lord by the practice of good deeds contrary to the sins. Repentance is purification of conscience. Repentance is the voluntary endurance of all afflictions. A penitent is the inflicter of his own punishments. Repentance is a mighty persecution of the stomach, and a striking of the soul into vigorous awareness.
From Apophthegmata Patrum: An old man was asked, ‘How can I find God?’ He said, ‘In fasting, in watching, in labours, in devotion, and, above all, in discernment. I tell you, many have injured their bodies without discernment and have gone away from us having achieved nothing. Our mouths smell bad through fasting, we know the Scriptures by heart, we recite all the Psalms of David, but we have not that which God seeks: charity and humility.’
St. Hesychius the Priest
The hour of death will come upon us, it will come, and we shall not escape it. May the prince of this world and of the air (cf. Jn 14: 30, Eph 2: 2) find our misdeeds few and petty when he comes, so that he will not have good grounds for convicting us. Otherwise we shall weep in vain. ‘For that servant who knew his lord’s will and did not do it as a servant, shall be beaten with many stripes’ (cf. Lk 12: 47).
- Last Sunday, 48 souls came to pray at St. Philip’s, our tithes to the Lord were $, Donations $, Building fund $, gift shop $, candles $. Thank you for supporting our church, may God bless you abundantly for your generosity.
- Please consider making St. Philip’s parish a part of your estate planning.
- Prayer requests. Fr. Stephen, Fr. Michael, Fr. Mel, Fr. Marcus, Fr. Chris, Fr. Randall, Fr. Michal, Sr. Patricia, Br. Gideon, Gary and Ingrid, Margaret and Don, Margaret, Slawomir and Oceana, Becky, Alexis, Marion, Curtis, Ronald, Jeannine, Taylor, Lorrie, Frances, Alex, Leroy, Michael, Adam, Thomas, Ellen, Ernestina, Carol, Nash, Michael, Jennifer, John.
- Hospitality signup sheet: Jan 26 – Victor and Theresa Pacheco, Feb 2 – Darlene Janson. Please sign up for hospitality for the upcoming Sundays; the signup sheet is in the parish hall. Thank you to the Prescott family who provided hospitality for us last Sunday.
- Electrical work to our church. Updates to our electrical system are now complete. This week, the electrician replaced the old line to the air conditioners, which was insufficient, and performed minor updates to the classroom and gift shop area. Our total bill for the electrical work comes to $. Thank you for your generosity that made these updates possible. Enjoy the new outlets!
- Annual Fire Inspection. Fire Department will perform the inspection of our church this Wednesday.
- Church insurance. For your information, we are in the process of negotiating new insurance to our building, after Guide One informed us about cancelation of our existing policy. Hopefully we will transition smoothly to our new policy by the end of this month. You will be informed of the situation, in the meantime, please pray for successful negotiations.
- All Souls Saturdays are days dedicated to praying for our departed brothers and sisters. Please remember to submit the list of your family members (last name of your family, and first names of those you wish remembered) to the parish office. The first All Souls is on February 15. Liturgical schedule
|Jan 28th||6:30 AM Divine Liturgy.|
|Jan 30th||5:30 PM Divine Liturgy.||Three Holy Hierarchs – Basil the Great, Gregory the Theologian and John Chrysostom. Simple Feast.|
|Feb 2nd||8:30 AM Confessions.
9:30 AM Divine Liturgy.
|Sunday of the Publican and Pharisee. Encounter of Our Lord with Simeon. Tone 1.Cantor: Amy Seyfried. Reader: Richard Agayoff.|
For Confession, please come half an hour before the scheduled services, or schedule an appointment.Fridays in general are days of simple fast, we observe abstinence from meat foods. Let us remember one another as we offer our prayers and sacrifices to God.