O Holy Apostle Philip,
Intercede with the merciful God
That He may grant our souls forgiveness of sins.
Glory to Jesus Christ! Glory for ever! + Slava Isusu Christu! Slava i vo viki!
Wisdom of the Desert Fathers
When the holy Abba Anthony lived in the desert he was … attacked by many sinful thoughts. He said to God, “Lord, I want to be saved but these thoughts do not leave me alone; what shall I do in my affliction?” … A short while afterwards, when he got up to go out, Anthony saw a man like himself sitting at his work, getting up from his work to pray, then sitting down and plaiting a rope, then getting up again to pray. It was an angel of the Lord sent to correct and reassure him. He heard the angel saying to him, “Do this and you will be saved.” At these words, Anthony was filled with joy and courage.
The brethren also asked Abba Agathon, “Amongst all good works, which is the virtue which requires the greatest effort?” He answered, “Forgive me, but I think there is no labor greater than that of prayer to God. For every time a man wants to pray, his enemies, the demons, want to prevent him, for they know that it is only by turning him from prayer that they can hinder his journey. Whatever good work a man undertakes, if he perseveres in it, he will attain rest. But prayer is warfare to the last breath.”
- Last Sunday, 112 souls came to pray at St. Philip’s, our tithes to the Lord were $, Donations $, Building fund $, gift shop $. Thank you for supporting our church, may God bless you abundantly for your generosity.
- Please consider making St. Philip’s parish a part of your estate planning.
- Prayer requests. Fr. Stephen, Fr. Michael, Fr. Mel, Fr. Marcus, Fr. Chris, Fr. Randall, Fr. Michal, Sr. Patricia, Br. Gideon, Gary and Ingrid, Margaret and Don, Margaret, Slawomir and Oceana, Becky, Alexis, Marion, Curtis, Ronald, Jeannine, Taylor, Lorrie, Frances, Alex, Leroy, Michael, Adam, Thomas, Ellen, Ernestina, Carol, Nash, Michael, Jennifer, John.
- Hospitality signup sheet: Jan 19 – Prescott family; Jan 26 – Victor and Theresa Pacheco, Feb 2 – Darlene Janson. Please sign up for hospitality for the upcoming Sundays; the signup sheet is in the parish hall. Thank you to all who provided hospitality for us last Sunday.
- Thank you for your help and hospitality last weekend during Bishop John’s visit and ordination. It was beautiful to see our whole parish helping. May God grant you many blessed years for all you do for our church.
- Electrical work to our church. Updates have been made to our electrical system, new panel, new outlets to the kitchen and bar area, main breaker replaced, and power supply to the air conditioners updated. So far, our expense for this project is $. The electrician discovered one more problem in the attic with air conditioner electrical, we will receive proposal for that in upcoming days. The church can be now used as usual.
- Air Conditioner and Heating replacement is now complete, except for one electrical issue, which will be resolved soon. We have new system with updated distribution of air; we kept “the younger” of the two heaters, replaced the other one for new. The final cost of this project was $.
- Church insurance. For your information, we are in the process of negotiating new insurance to our building, after Guide One informed us about cancellation of our existing policy. Hopefully we will transition smoothly to our new policy by the end of this month. You will be informed of the situation, in the meantime, please pray for successful negotiations.
- Theophany Blessing of Homes. If you would like Father to come and bless your home, please let him know, sign up sheet is in the parish hall.
- All Souls Saturdays are days dedicated to praying for our departed brothers and sisters. Please remember to submit the list of your family members (last name of your family, and first names of those you wish remembered) to the parish office. The first All Souls is on February 15.
- 2019 ONLINE EDUCATIONAL OFFERINGS – All courses are offered as live webinars, free of charge. Register at: www.EasternCatholic.org/eventsBaptized into Christ The Mystery of Initiation & Identity of the People of God – by Rev. Sebastian Carnazzo, Wednesdays, January 22 @5:00-6:00 pm PST
|Jan 21st||6:30 AM Divine Liturgy.|
|Jan 23rd||5:30 PM Vespers.|
|Jan 26th||8:30 AM Confessions.
9:30 AM Divine Liturgy.
|Sunday of Zacchaeus – 33rdafter Pentecost. Cantor: Amy Seyfried. Reader: Tim.|
For Confession, please come half an hour before the scheduled services, or schedule an appointment.Fridays in general are days of simple fast, we observe abstinence from meat foods. Let us remember one another as we offer our prayers and sacrifices to God.