O Holy Apostle Philip,
Intercede with the merciful God
That he may grant our souls forgiveness of sins.
Glory to Jesus Christ! Glory for ever! + Slava Isusu Christu! Slava i vo viki!
From the Fathers of the Church …
St. Irenaeus of Lyon
[W]hat is joined together could not otherwise be put asunder than by inversion of the process by which these bonds of union had arisen; so that the former ties be cancelled by the latter… […] [I]t was that the knot of Eve’s disobedience was loosed by the obedience of Mary. For what the virgin Eve had bound fast through unbelief, this did the virgin Mary set free through faith. …
For just as [Eve] was led astray by the word of an angel, so that she fled from God when she had transgressed His word; so did [Mary], by an angelic communication, receive the glad tidings that she should sustain God, being obedient to His word. And if the former did disobey God, yet the latter was persuaded to be obedient to God, in order that the Virgin Mary might become the patroness of the virgin Eve. And thus, as the human race fell into bondage to death by means of a virgin, so is it rescued by a virgin; virginal disobedience having been balanced in the opposite scale by virginal obedience.
St. Augustine of Hippo
Our Lord . . . was not averse to males, for he took the form of a male, nor to females, for of a female he was born. Besides, there is a great mystery here: that just as death comes to us through a woman, life is born to us through a woman; that the devil, defeated, would be tormented by each nature, feminine and masculine, as he had taken delight in the defection of both.
- Last Sunday, 42 souls came to pray at St. Philip’s, our tithes to the Lord were $, candles $donations $, Festival $, Donations $, Building fund $. Thank you for supporting our church, may God bless you abundantly for your generosity.
- Please consider making St. Philip’s parish a part of your estate planning.
- Prayer requests. Fr. Stephen, Fr. Michael, Fr. Mel, Fr. Marcus, Fr. Chris, Fr. Randall, Fr. Michal, Sr. Patricia, Br. Gideon, Gary and Ingrid, Margaret and Don, Margaret, Oceana, Becky, Alexis, Marion, Curtis, Ronald, Jeannine, Taylor, Lorrie, Frances, Alex, Leroy, Michael, Adam, Thomas, Ellen, Ernestina, Carol, Nash, Michael, Jennifer.
- Hospitality signup sheet: Dec 8 – Baker family, Dec 15 – Victor & Teresa Pacheco, Dec 22 – Amy Seyfried. Please sign up for hospitality for the upcoming Sundays; the signup sheet is in the parish hall. Thank you to Teresa and Victor Pacheco who provided hospitality for us last Sunday.
- Amazon Smile Did you know that you can support St. Philip’s effortlessly through your online shopping with Amazon.com through the Amazon Smile program? To get started, login to Amazon through the website smile.amazon.com. The first time you login, you will be directed to choose a charity for your donations. Search for “St. Philip the Apostle Byzantine Catholic Church Sacramento” and select us. When you return to do your shopping, be sure to go to smile.amazon.com instead of the regular Amazon site. Every time you make a purchase through this website, Amazon will donate .5% of eligible purchases to our parish.
- Air conditioner at church will be replaced soon. We received a proposal for the job, it’s almost $15,000 to complete the project. Advisory board will evaluate the proposal, so we can start the work. We have some funds allocated for this project, now you have an opportunity to participate. When you make a donation, please mark it “air conditioner,” we will direct it to our building fund and use it to finance this important project. Thank you for your generosity.
- 2019 ONLINE EDUCATIONAL OFFERINGS – All courses are offered as live webinars, free of charge. Register at: www.EasternCatholic.org/eventsThe Gift of God – by Rev. David Anderson; Preparing for the Feast of the Nativity, Wednesday, December 18 @5:00-6:00 pm PSTBaptized into Christ The Mystery of Initiation & Identity of the People of God – by Rev. Sebastian Carnazzo, Wednesdays, January 8, 15, & 22 @5:00-6:00 pm PSTLiturgical schedule
|6:30 AM Divine Liturgy.|
|5:30 PM Akathist to the Holy Mother of God.||Our Lady of Guadalupe.|
|Dec 15th||8:30 AM Confessions.
9:10 AM Office of the 3rd Hour
9:30 AM Divine Liturgy.
|Sunday of the Forefathers Tone 2. Cantor: Tim Del Castillo. Reader: Richard Agayoff.
For Confession, please come half an hour before the scheduled services, or schedule an appointment.During St. Philip’s fast we observe at minimum abstinence from meat foods on Wednesdays and Fridays. Let us remember one another as we offer our prayers and sacrifices to God.