O Holy Apostle Philip,
Intercede with the merciful God
That He may grant our souls forgiveness of sins.
Glory to Jesus Christ! Glory for ever! + Slava Isusu Christu! Slava i vo viki!
From the Fathers of the Church …
St. Cyril of Jerusalem
‘And there appeared unto them cloven tongues like as of fire, and it sat upon each of them; and they were all filled with the Holy Spirit’ (Acts 2:3-4). They partook of fire, not of burning but of saving fire; of fire which consumes the thorns of sins, but gives luster to the soul. This is now coming upon you also, and that to strip away and consume your sins which are like thorns, and to brighten yet more that precious possession of your souls, and to give you grace; for He gave it then to the Apostles. And He sat upon them in the form of fiery tongues, that they might crown themselves with new and spiritual diadems by fiery tongues upon their heads. A fiery sword barred of old the gates of Paradise; a fiery tongue which brought salvation restored the gift.
St. John Cassian
The thief who received the kingdom of heaven, though not as the reward of virtue, is a true witness to the fact that salvation is ours through the grace and mercy of God. All of our holy fathers knew this and all with one accord teach that perfection in holiness can be achieved only through humility. Humility, in its turn, can be achieved only through faith, fear of God, gentleness and the shedding of all possessions. It is by means of these that we attain perfect love, through the grace and compassion of our Lord Jesus Christ, to whom be glory through all the ages. Amen.
- Last Sunday, 46 souls came to pray at St. Philip’s, our tithes to the Lord were $, candles $, donations $, Festival $, Building fund $. Thank you for supporting our church, may God bless you abundantly for your generosity.
- Please consider making St. Philip’s parish a part of your estate planning.
- Prayer requests. Fr. Stephen, Fr. Michael, Fr. Mel, Fr. Marcus, Fr. Chris, Fr. Randall, Fr. Michal, Sr. Patricia, Br. Gideon, Gary and Ingrid, Margaret and Don, Margaret, Oceana, Becky, Alexis, Marion, Curtis, Ronald, Jeannine, Taylor, Lorrie, Frances, Alex, Leroy, Michael, Adam, Thomas, Ellen, Ernestina, Carol, Nash, Michael, Jennifer.
- Hospitality signup sheet: Dec 1 – Darlene Janson, Dec 8 – Baker family, Dec 15 – Victor & Teresa Pacheco, Dec 22 – Amy Seyfried. Please sign up for hospitality for the upcoming Sundays; the signup sheet is in the parish hall. Thank you to Nola and Oliver Bardin who provided hospitality for us last Sunday.
- Sacramento is hosting Marathon next weekend! Some streets are closed to traffic. Your route to church may be blocked, and you may have to use the freeway.
- St. Nicholas will visit our children next Sunday. Children, make sure you bring a polished shoe for treats (or lump of coal) and set it in the church hall before Divine Liturgy.
- Amazon Smile Did you know that you can support St. Philip’s effortlessly through your online shopping with Amazon.com through the Amazon Smile program? To get started, login to Amazon through the website smile.amazon.com. The first time you login, you will be directed to choose a charity for your donations. Search for “St. Philip the Apostle Byzantine Catholic Church Sacramento” and select us. When you return to do your shopping, be sure to go to smile.amazon.com instead of the regular Amazon site. Every time you make a purchase through this website, Amazon will donate .5% of eligible purchases to our parish.
- Air conditioner at church will be replaced soon. We received a proposal for the job, it’s almost $15,000 to complete the project. Advisory board will evaluate the proposal, so we can start the work. We have some funds allocated for this project, now you have an opportunity to participate. When you make a donation, please mark it “air conditioner,” we will direct it to our building fund and use it to finance this important project. Thank you for your generosity.
- 2019 ONLINE EDUCATIONAL OFFERINGS – All courses are offered as live webinars, free of charge. Register at: www.EasternCatholic.org/events
The Gift of God – by Rev. David Anderson; Preparing for the Feast of the Nativity, Wednesday, December 16 @5:00-6:00 pm PST
|6:30 AM Divine Liturgy.|
|5:30 PM Divine Liturgy.||St. Nicholas the Wonderworker. Solemn Feast.|
|Dec 8th||8:30 AM Confessions.
9:10 AM Office of the 3rd Hour
9:30 AM Divine Liturgy.
|26th Sunday after Pentecost. Maternity of the Holy Anna. Tone 1. Cantor: Amy Seyfried. Reader: Tim Belke.
For Confession, please come half an hour before the scheduled services, or schedule an appointment.During St. Philip’s fast we observe at minimum abstinence from meat foods on Wednesdays and Fridays. Let us remember one another as we offer our prayers and sacrifices to God.