O Holy Apostle Philip,
Intercede with the merciful God
That he may grant our souls forgiveness of sins.
Glory to Jesus Christ! Glory for ever! + Slava Isusu Christu! Slava i vo viki!
From the Desert Fathers …
Abba Elias said, ‘An old man was living in a temple and the demons came to say to him, “Leave this place which belongs to us,” and the old man said, “No place belongs to you.” Then they began to scatter his palm leaves about, one by one, and the old man went on gathering them together with perseverance. A little later the devil took his hand and pulled him to the door. When the old man reached the door, he seized the lintel with the other hand crying out, “Jesus, save me.” Immediately the devil fled away. Then the old man began to weep. Then the Lord said to him, “Why are you weeping?” and the old man said, “Because, the devils have dared to seize a man and treat him like this.’ The Lord said to him, “You had been careless. As soon as you turned to me again, you see I was beside you.” I say this, because it is necessary to take great pains, and anyone who does not do so, cannot come to his God. For He himself was crucified for our sake.
Abba Poemen said of Abba John the Dwarf that he had prayed God to take his passions away from him so that he might become free from care. He went and told an old man this: ‘I find myself in peace, without an enemy,’ he said. The old man said to him, ‘Go, beseech God to stir up warfare so that you regain the affliction and humility that you used to have, for it is by warfare that the soul makes progress.’ So he besought God and when warfare came, he no longer prayed that it might be taken away, but said, ‘Lord, give me strength for the fight.’
- Last Sunday, 39 souls came to pray at St. Philip’s, our tithes to the Lord were $, candles $, donations $, Building fund $. Thank you for supporting our church, may God bless you abundantly for your generosity.
- Please consider making St. Philip’s parish a part of your estate planning.
- Prayer requests. Fr. Mel, Fr. Marcus, Fr. Chris, Fr. Randall, Fr. Michal, Sr. Patricia, Br. Gideon, Gary and Ingrid, Margaret and Don, Margaret, Oceana, Becky, Alexis, Marion, Curtis, Ronald, Jeannine, Taylor, Lorrie, Frances, Alex, Leroy, Michael, Adam, Thomas, Ellen, Ernestina, Carol, Nash, Michael, Jennifer.
- Hospitality signup sheet: Nov 24 – Nola and Oliver Bardin, Dec 1 – Darlene Janson, Dec 8 – Baker family, Dec 15 – Victor & Teresa Pacheco, Dec 22 – Amy Seyfried. Please sign up for hospitality for the upcoming Sundays; the signup sheet is in the parish hall. Thank you to Agayoff family who provided hospitality for us last Sunday.
- Amazon Smile Did you know that you can support St. Philip’s effortlessly through your online shopping with Amazon.com through the Amazon Smile program? To get started, login to Amazon through the website smile.amazon.com. The first time you login, you will be directed to choose a charity for your donations. Search for “St. Philip the Apostle Byzantine Catholic Church Sacramento” and select us. When you return to do your shopping, be sure to go to smile.amazon.com instead of the regular Amazon site. Every time you make a purchase through this website, Amazon will donate .5% of eligible purchases to our parish.
- Air conditioner at church will be replaced soon. We received a proposal for the job, it’s almost $15,000 to complete the project. Advisory board will evaluate the proposal, so we can start the work. We have some funds allocated for this project, now you have an opportunity to participate. When you make a donation, please mark it “air conditioner,” we will direct it to our building fund and use it to finance this important project. Thank you for your generosity.
- 2019 ONLINE EDUCATIONAL OFFERINGS – All courses are offered as live webinars, free of charge. Register at: www.EasternCatholic.org/eventsThe Gift of God – by Rev. David Anderson; Preparing for the Feast of the Nativity, Wednesday, December 16 @5:00-6:00 pm PST
|6:30 AM Divine Liturgy.|
|9 AM Divine Liturgy.||Thanksgiving Day.|
|Dec 1st||8:30 AM Confessions.
9:10 AM Office of the 3rd Hour
9:30 AM Divine Liturgy.
|25th Sunday after Pentecost. Tone 8. Cantor: Tim Del Castillo. Reader: Richard Agayoff.|
For Confession, please come half an hour before the scheduled services, or schedule an appointment.During St. Philip’s fast we observe at minimum abstinence from meat foods on Wednesdays and Fridays. Let us remember one another as we offer our prayers and sacrifices to God.