O Holy Apostle Philip,
Intercede with the merciful God
That he may grant our souls forgiveness of sins.
Christ is Risen! Indeed He is Risen! + Christos Voskres! Voistinu Voskres!
From the Fathers of the Church …
St. Gregory the Great
… One stroke falls on the sinner, for punishment only, not conversion; another for correction; another not for correction of past sins, but prevention of future; another neither for correcting past, nor preventing future sins, but by the unexpected deliverance following the blow, to excite more ardent love of the Savior’s goodness.
… By His spittle, understand the savor of inward contemplation. It runs down from the head into the mouth, and gives us the taste of revelation from the Divine splendor even in this life. The mixture of His spittle with clay is the mixture of supernatural grace, even the contemplation of Himself with our carnal knowledge, to the soul’s enlightenment, and restoration of the human understanding from its original blindness.
St. John Chrysostom
He was not ashamed of his former blindness, nor afraid of the fury of the people, nor averse to show himself, and proclaim his Benefactor. Therefore said they to him, How were your eyes opened? How they were, neither he nor any one knew: he only knew the fact; he could not explain it.
He answered and said; a man that is called Jesus made clay, and anointed mine eyes. Mark his exactness. He does not say how the clay was made; for he could not see that our Lord spat on the ground; he does not say what he does not know; but that He anointed him he could feel. And said to me, Go to the pool of Siloam, and wash. This too he could declare from his own hearing; for he had heard our Lord converse with His disciples, and so knew His voice. Lastly, he shows how strictly he had obeyed our Lord. He adds, and I went, and washed, and received sight.
- Last Sunday, 45 souls came to pray at St. Philip’s, our tithes to the Lord were $, donations $. Thank you for supporting our church, may God bless you abundantly for your generosity.
- Please consider making St. Philip’s parish a part of your estate planning.
- Prayer requests. Fr. Marcus, Fr. Chris, Fr. Randall, Fr. Ted, Fr. Jozef, Fr. Peter, Fr. Michal, Sr. Patricia, Br. Gideon, Gary and Ingrid, Margaret and Don, Walter, Adam, Margaret, Oceana, Becky, Alexis, Marion, Curtis, Ronald, Jeannine, Taylor, Lorrie, Frances, Alex, Leroy, Michael.
- Hospitality signup sheet: May 26 – Amy Seyfried, Jun 2 – open, Jun 9 – potluck. Please sign up for hospitality for the upcoming Sundays; the signup sheet is in the parish hall. Thank you to Agayoff family for providing hospitality for us last Sunday.
- Fifth All Souls Saturday is on June 8, the day before Pentecost.
- Fireworks signup sheet is in the parish hall. Please consider volunteering your time this year. For further details and questions, see Steve Prescott.
- Eparchial Appeal 2019 update. With some recent donations still underway, we are currently $ short of our goal – very close. Up to date, 15 households have participated in the Appeal, we also received one anonymous donation. Thank you for your generosity. Please send your pledges and donations directly to the Bishop’s office in Phoenix, AZ, make checks payable to the Eparchy of Phoenix, write “Eparchial Appeal 2019” in the memo, make sure you state you are from St. Philip’s. Lord our God, grant all the benefactors of our holy church many blessed years!
- Myrrh-Bearers Retreat in Albuquerque, June 28-30: A Byzantine Catholic Women’s Retreat at Madonna Center in Albuquerque, NM. Myrrh-Bearers is a spiritual retreat for girls and teens (7-17) and women (18+) sponsored by the Eparchy of Phoenix to provide an opportunity for participants to grow in a deeper relationship with our Lord. Cost of the retreat is $ and includes lodging, all meals, activities, and a free T-shirt if you register by 31 May 2019. Financial aid is available for large families. Please register online at https://myrrh-bearers.com and pay for the retreat at the https://ephx.org/giving/ by selecting “myrrh-bearers.” Contact the organizer, Pani Janet Escobedo with questions or to register by mail. Phone: 505-720-8012. Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Galatians 6:9-10 – “And let us not grow weary of doing good, for in due season we will reap, if we do not give up.So then, as we have opportunity, let us do good to everyone, and especially to those who are of the household of faith.” Thank you for prioritizing the Eparchy of Phoenix in your generous giving.
- Alive in Christ, July 11-14, 2019. The annual “Ascetical Boot Camp” Retreat for Byzantine Catholic Young Men 7 years to 17 years with their Fathers, or legal male guardian at Black Diamond Camps, Auburn, WA. See Father for more information, or call the Eparchial vocations office. Contact: Fr. Michael email@example.com, Phone: (206)-799-4917
*All Souls Saturday – June 8
*Pentecost – June 9
* Sunday of All Saints – June 16
*Fireworks Fundraiser – June 28-July 4
|Mon||May 27st||8 AM Divine Liturgy.||Memorial Day|
|May 29th||5:30 PM Great Vespers (of the Ascension).|
|May 30th||5:30 PM Divine Liturgy.||Ascension of Our Lord
Holy Day of Obligation
|Jun 2nd||8:30 AM Confessions.
9:10 AM Office of the 3rd Hour
9:30 AM Divine Liturgy.
|Sunday of the Fathers of the First Ecumenical Council. Cantor: Tim Del Castillo. Reader: Richard Agayoff.|
For Confession, please come half an hour before the scheduled services, or schedule an appointment. Fridays in general are days of penance, we observe abstinence from meat foods. Let us remember one another as we offer of prayers and sacrifices to God.