O Holy Apostle Philip,
Intercede with the merciful God
That he may grant our souls forgiveness of sins.
Christ is Risen! Indeed He is Risen! + Christos Voskres! Voistinu Voskres!
From the Fathers of the Church …
St. John Chrysostom
What kind of a cure is this? What mystery does it signify to us? … What is it that is shown in outline? A baptism was about to be given that possessed much power. It was the greatest of gifts, a baptism purging all sins and making people alive instead of dead. These things then are foreshown as in a picture by the pool…. And this miracle was done so that those [at the pool] who had learned over and over for such a long time how it is possible to heal the diseases of the body by water might more easily believe that water can also heal the diseases of the soul.
St. Ambrose of Milan
No one was healed before the angel had descended. Because of those who did not believe, the water was troubled as a sign that the angel had descended. They had a sign, you have faith; for them an angel descended, for you the Holy Spirit; for them the creation was troubled, for you Christ himself, the Lord of creation, worked. Then, one was healed, now all are made whole… For that pool was as a type so that you might believe that the power of God descends upon this font.
… What did the angel declare in this type but the descent of the Holy Spirit, which was to come to pass in our day and should consecrate the waters when invoked by the prayers of the priest? That angel, then, was a herald of the Holy Spirit, inasmuch as by means of the grace of the Spirit medicine was to be applied to our infirmities of soul and mind. The Spirit, then, has the same ministers as God the Father and Christ, He fills all things, possesses all things, works all and in all in the same manner as God the Father and the Son work.
- Last Sunday, 43 souls came to pray at St. Philip’s, our tithes to the Lord were $, candles $, donations $, Bishop’s Appeal $. Thank you for supporting our church, may God bless you abundantly for your generosity.
- Please consider making St. Philip’s parish a part of your estate planning.
- Happy Mothers’ Day to all our mothers, grandmothers, godmothers, and spiritual mothers, may God richly bless you on this your feast day and always.
- Prayer requests. Fr. Marcus, Fr. Chris, Fr. Randall, Fr. Ted, Sr. Patricia, Gary and Ingrid, Margaret and Don, Walter, Adam, Margaret, Oceana, Becky, Alexis, Marion, Curtis, Ronald, Jeannine, Taylor, Lorrie, Frances, Alex, Leroy, Michael.
- Hospitality signup sheet: May 12 – Theresa and Darlene, May 19 – Agayofff family. Please sign up for hospitality for the upcoming Sundays; the signup sheet is in the parish hall. Thank you to Prescott family for providing hospitality for us last Sunday.
- Pirohy for sale. We have plenty of various editions of potato and some sauerkraut pirohy’s, great to eat alone or with pretty much anything. Please help us eat them. On sale today!!
- Drywall repair needed, after the air conditioner leaked through the ceiling. If you know a good handyman, please let Fr. Francis know.
- Eparchial Appeal 2019 update. According to the most recent report from the Eparchy, 14 households have pledged or donated to the Appeal so far, we are about $ short of our goal ($). Please send your pledges and donations directly to the Bishop’s office in Phoenix, AZ, make checks payable to the Eparchy of Phoenix, write “Eparchial Appeal 2019” in the memo, make sure you state you are from St. Philip’s. Please support the Appeal to the best of your financial ability. But please, support it!
- Myrrh-Bearers Retreat in Albuquerque, June 28-30: Women, teens and girls Age 7+ are invited to register for the annual Myrrh-Bearer retreat June 28-30 at Albuquerque, NM. Cost of the retreat is $ and includes lodging, all meals, activities, and a free T-shirt if you register by 31 May 2019. Financial aid is available for large families. Please register online at https://myrrh-bearers.com and pay for the retreat at the https://ephx.org/giving/ by selecting “myrrh-bearers.” Contact the organizer, Pani Janet Escobedo with questions or to register by mail. Phone: 505-720-8012. Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
A Byzantine Catholic Women’s Retreat. June 28th-30th, 2019 Madonna Center Albuquerque, NM. Myrrh-Bearers is a spiritual retreat for girls and teens (7-17) and women (18+) sponsored by the Eparchy of Phoenix to provide an opportunity for participants to grow in a deeper relationship with our Lord.
- Alive in Christ, July 11-14, 2019. The annual “Ascetical Boot Camp” Retreat for Byzantine Catholic Young Men 7 years to 17 years with their Fathers, or legal male guardian at Black Diamond Camps, Auburn, WA. See Father for more information, or call the Eparchial vocations office. Contact: Fr. Michael email@example.com, Phone: (206)-799-4917
|Tue||May 14th||7 AM Divine Liturgy.|
|May 15th||5:30 PM Divine Liturgy.||Mid-Pentecost.|
|May 19th||8:30 AM Confessions.
9:10 AM Office of the 3rd Hour
9:30 AM Divine Liturgy.
|Sunday of the Samaritan Woman. Cantor: Tim Del Castillo. Reader: Tim Belke.|
For Confession, please come half an hour before the scheduled services, or schedule an appointment. Fridays in general are days of penance, we observe abstinence from meat foods. Let us remember one another as we offer of prayers and sacrifices to God.