O Holy Apostle Philip,
Intercede with the merciful God
That he may grant our souls forgiveness of sins.
Glory to Jesus Christ! Glory to Him forever!
+ Slava Isusu Christu! Slava i vo viki!
From the Fathers of the Church …
St. Clement of Alexandria
The physician’s art, according to Democritus, heals the diseases of the body; wisdom frees the soul from its obsessions. But the good Instructor, Wisdom, who is the Word of the Father who assumed human flesh, cares for the whole nature of his creature. The all-sufficient Physician of humanity, the Savior, heals both body and soul conjointly. “Stand up,” he commanded the paralytic; “take the bed on which you lie, and go home”; and immediately the paralytic received strength.
We are also informed, that many sicknesses of body arise from sins, and therefore perhaps sins are first remitted, that the causes of sickness being taken away, health may be restored. For men are afflicted by fleshly troubles for five causes, in order to increase their merits, as Job and the Martyrs; or to preserve their lowliness, as Paul by the messenger of Satan; or that they may perceive and correct their sins, as Miriam, the sister of Moses, and this paralytic; or for the glory of God, as the man born blind and Lazarus; or as the beginnings of the pains of damnation, as Herod and Antiochus. But wonderful is the virtue of the divine power, where without the least interval of time, by time command of the Savior, a speedy health accompanies His words. Wherefore there follows: Insomuch that they were all amazed. Leaving the greater thing, that is, the remission of sins, they only wonder at that which is apparent, that is, the health of the body.
- Last Sunday, 34 souls came to pray at St. Philip’s, our tithes to the Lord were $, donations $, candles $. Thank you for supporting our church, may God bless you abundantly for your generosity.
- Please consider making St. Philip’s parish a part of your estate planning.
- Prayer requests. Fr. Marcus, Fr. Chris, Fr. Randall, Fr. Ted, Sr. Patricia, Gary and Ingrid, Margaret and Don, Walter, Adam, Margaret, Oceana, Becky, Alexis, Marion, Curtis, Ronald, Jeannine, Taylor, Lorrie, Rosa, Frances, Alex, Stefan, Leroy, David.
- Hospitality signup sheet: Mar 17 – Pacheco family, Mar 24 – Darlene Janson, Mar 31 – Prescott family. Please sign up for hospitality for the upcoming Sundays; the signup sheet is in the parish hall. Thank you to Baker family for providing hospitality for us last Sunday.
- Eparchial Appeal 2019 began in January. Few weeks ago, you received the pledge form and information for the appeal, either by mail or in the Sunday bulletin. Please send your pledges and donations directly to the Bishop’s office in Phoenix, AZ, make checks payable to the Eparchy of Phoenix, write “Eparchial Appeal 2019” in the memo. Our parish goal is set for $ per household. Please support the Appeal to the best of your financial ability. But please, support it!
- “Inaugural Lay Conference, “Growing in the Image and Likeness of God: Eastern Spirituality in the Modern World” featuring Fr. Stephen Freeman, Jonathan Pageau and Fr. Deacon Daniel Dozier. May 17-18, Demetrius Hall, Seattle. “… a Fantastic opportunity to gather with fellow Christians and great speakers to be enriched by the great gift of Eastern Christian Spirituality and how it offers answers to the challenges of modernity. This conference is not academic in focus. It is our sincere hope this event will assist all Christians seeking to deepen their spiritual life to grow in the Image and Likeness of God.” For more information, visit:https://www.shared-inheritance.com/
*March 23 – Third All Souls Saturday.
*March 30 – Fourth All Souls Saturday
*April 13 – St. Philip’s Fish Fry and Pirohy Dinner.
|Mar 20th||5:30 PM Liturgy of the Presanctified Gifts.|
|Mar 23rd||8:00 AM Divine Liturgy. Panachida.||Third All Souls Saturday.|
|Sun||Mar 24th||8:30 AM Confessions.
9:10 AM Office of the 3rdHour.
9:30 AM Divine Liturgy of St. Basil the Great.
|Third Sunday of the Great Fast – Veneration of the Holy and Life Giving Cross of Our Lord. Tone 3. Cantor: Tim Del Castillo. Reader: Tim Belke.|
For Confession, please come half an hour before the scheduled services, or schedule an appointment. At minimum, on Wednesdays and Fridays of the Great Fast we observe abstinence from meat foods. Let us remember one another as we offer our prayers and sacrifices to God.