O Holy Apostle Philip,
Intercede with the merciful God
That he may grant our souls forgiveness of sins.
*** *** ***
Glory to Jesus Christ! Glory forever! + Slava Isusu Christu! Slava i vo viki!
From the Fathers of the Church…
St. Ambrose of Milan
You see that the divine inheritance is given to those who ask. You should not think that the Father was guilty because he gave to the younger son. There is no frail age in the kingdom of God nor is faith weighed down by years. He who made the request surely judged himself worthy. If only he had not departed from his Father, he would not have known the hindrance of age. After he went abroad, he who de-parted from the church squandered his inheritance. “After,” it says, “leaving his home and country, he went abroad into a distant country,” What is farther away than to depart from oneself, and not from a place?…
Surely whoever separates himself from Christ is an exile from his country, a citizen of the world. We are not strangers and pilgrims, but we are “fellow citizens of the saints and of the household of God,” for we who were far away have come near in the blood of Christ. Let us not look down on those who return from a distant land, because we were also in a distant land, as Isaiah teaches. “To them that dwelled in the region of the shadow of death, light has risen.” There is a distant region of the shadow of death, but we, for whom the Spirit before our face is Christ the Lord, live in the shadow of Christ. The church therefore says, “Under his shadow I desired and sat down.”
· Last Sunday, 39 souls came to pray at St. Philip’s, our tithes to the Lord were $, donations $, candles $. Thank you for supporting our church, may God bless you abundantly for your generosity. Please consider making St. Philip’s parish a part of your estate planning.
· Prayer requests. Fr. Marcus, Fr. Chris, Fr. Jozef, Fr. Randall, Fr. Brendan, Fr. Ted & Barbara, Sr. Patricia, Gary and Ingrid, Margaret and Don, Walter, Adam, Margaret, Oceana, Becky, Alexis, Marion, Curtis, Ronald, Taylor, Lorrie, Rosa, Frances, Maros, Alex, Ted, Eva.
· Hospitality signup sheet: Feb 4 – Agayoff family, Feb 11 – Murin family, Feb 18 – open. Please sign up for hospitality for the upcoming Sundays; the signup sheet is in the parish hall. Thank you to Prescott family who provided hospitality for us last Sunday.
· Friday before Meat-Fare is traditionally a fast-free day. In addition to that, we celebrate the solemn feast of the Encounter of Our Lord with Righteous Elder Simeon and Prophetess Anna. Enjoy the feast.
· Blessing of Candles. Please bring candles to bless on February 2nd.
· PILGRIM VOCATION ICON As we pray for the Lord to have mercy on our church and send us good and holy shepherds, remember especially the children and youth of our parish, for the grace to desire God’s will for their lives, and to discern and follow their vocation. Vocation icon schedule: Jan 28 – Agayoff family, Feb 4 –Cantor Gene Ford, Feb 11 – Dean family. (To sign up, please contact Jon & Abby Burke, or Fr. Francis.)
Bishop’s Appeal 2018. The Annual Bishop’s Appeal begins now. Our parish goal is $. The pledge form and information for the appeal will be sent directly from the Bishop’s office, if you did not receive your Appeal mailing, see Fr. Francis for the pledge form and informational letter. This year, we are requested to send our pledges directly to the Bishop’s office in Phoenix, AZ, and our checks to be made to Holy Protection of Mary Byzantine Catholic Eparchy of Phoenix.
5:30 PM Divine Liturgy. Blessing of candles.
Encounter of Our Lord with Simeon. Solemn Feast.
8:00 AM Divine Liturgy.
First All-Souls Saturday.
8:30 AM Confessions.
9:30 AM Divine Liturgy.
Sunday of the Meat-Fare. Tone 2.
Cantor: Tim Del Castillo, Amy Seyfried.
For Confession, please come half an hour before the scheduled services, or schedule an appointment. No Friday fast this week.