O Holy Apostle Philip,
Intercede with the merciful God
That he may grant our souls forgiveness of sins.
*** *** ***
Glory to Jesus Christ! Glory forever! Slava Isusu Christu! Slava i vo viki!
From the Fathers of the Church…
The voice of the Lord urging the people to repentance — the Holy Spirit made it known to the people that they might take heed, saying, “Today, when you hear his voice, do not harden your hearts as in the rebellion, as in the day of testing in the wilderness.” In the same psalm above, he made clear that he was urging the sinful people to repentance and showed the state of a repentant soul, saying, “Come, let us fall down before him and lament before the Lord who made us, for he is our God.” The Lord urges the people to repentance, and he promises to pardon their sins, according to Isaiah’s words: “I, even I, am the one who wipes out your iniquities, and I will not be mindful of your sins. But you be mindful, declare first your iniquities that you may be justified.” Rightly then does the Lord urge the people to repentance when he says, “Repent, for the kingdom of heaven is at hand,” so that through this confession of sins they may be made worthy to approach the kingdom of heaven. For no one can receive the grace of the heavenly God unless one has been cleansed of every stain of sin by the confession of repentance, through the gift of the saving baptism of our Lord and Savior.
· Last Sunday, 62 souls came to pray at St. Philip’s, our tithes to the Lord were $, donations $, candles $, gift shop $. Thank you for supporting our church, may God bless you abundantly for your generosity. Please consider making St. Philip’s parish a part of your estate planning.
· Prayer requests. Fr. Marcus, Fr. James, Fr. Joseph, Fr. Jozef, Fr. Randall, Fr. Martin, Fr. Brendan, Fr. Ted & Barbara, Sr. Patricia, Gary and Ingrid, Margaret and Don, Walter, Adam, Margaret, Oceana, Becky, Alexis, Marion, Rachel, Curtis, Ronald, Taylor, Lorrie, Rosa, Frances, Maros, Alex, Ted, Eva.
· Hospitality signup sheet: Jan 14 – Baker family Jan 21 – open. Please sign up for hospitality for the upcoming Sundays; the signup sheet is in the parish hall. Thank you to the Murin family who provided hospitality for us last Sunday.
· Checks made to the parish. When writing a check to the parish (tithe, donation, special collection, gift shop, etc.), please use the name: “Saint Philip the Apostle Byzantine Catholic Church.” Sometimes we have difficulty with the bank when checks are written using other names (don’t use names such as St. Philip’s Church; St. Philip’s parish; St. Philip Byzantine Church, St. Philip Catholic Church). Thank you.
· PILGRIM VOCATION ICON As we pray for the Lord to have mercy on our church and send us good and holy shepherds, remember especially the children and youth of our parish, for the grace to desire God’s will for their lives, and to discern and follow their vocation. Vocation icon schedule: Jan. 7 – Murin family, Jan. 14 — Belke family, Jan. 21 — Janson family, Feb. 4 — Cantor Gene Ford. (To sign up, please contact Jon & Abby Burke, or Fr. Francis.)
· Icon-writing retreat. After being forced to cancel Fall workshops due to the Great Fire of 2017, Father Abbot Damian will hold an Icon Retreat at the Holy Transfiguration Monastery in Redwood Valley from January 22 to January 27. The workshop will begin at 4:30 p.m. on Monday, Jan. 22. If interested in attending, please email Brother Gideon at email@example.com.
6:30 AM Divine Liturgy.
5:30 PM Vespers
32nd Sunday after Pentecost. Sunday of Zacchaeus.
8:30 AM Confessions.
9:30 AM Divine Liturgy.
Tone 7. Cantor Gene Ford
For Confession, please come half an hour before the scheduled services, or schedule an appointment. Fridays are fasting days; we observe abstinence from meat foods. Let us remember one another as we offer prayers and sacrifices to God.