O Holy Apostle Philip,
Intercede with the merciful God
That he may grant our souls forgiveness of sins.
*** *** ***
Slava Isusu Christu! Slava i vo viki! + Glory to Jesus Christ! Glory for ever!
From the Fathers of the Church…
St. John Chrysostom
But in this he errs, that he thinks those things good which are indifferent. For there are some things good, some evil, some between the two. The good are chastity, and humility, and the like, which when a man chooses he becomes good. But opposed to these are the evil, which when a man chooses he becomes bad; and there are the neutral, as riches, which at one time indeed are directed to good, as to almsgiving, at other times to evil, as to covetousness. And in like manner poverty at one time leads to blasphemy, at another to wisdom, according to the disposition of the user…
…Now it behoves us not to indulge in delights which fattening the body make lean the soul, and bring a heavy burden upon it, and spread darkness over it, and a thick covering, because in pleasure our governing part which is the soul becomes the slave, but the subject part, namely the body, rules. But the body is in need not of luxuries but of food, that it may be nourished, not that it may be racked and melt away. For not to the soul alone are pleasures hurtful, but to the body itself, because from being a strong body it becomes weak, from being healthy diseased, from being active slothful, from being beautiful unshapely, and from youthful old.
· Last Sunday, 64 souls came to pray at St. Philip’s, our tithes to the Lord were $, donations $, candles $, gift shop $, Christmas around the World Festival $. Thank you for supporting our church, may God bless you abundantly for your generosity. Please consider making St. Philip’s parish a part of your estate planning.
· Prayer requests. Fr. Jozef, Fr. Randall, Fr. Martin, Fr. Brendan, Fr. Ted & Barbara, Sr. Patricia, Gary and Ingrid, Margaret and Don, Walter, Adam, Margaret, Oceana, Becky, Alexis, Marion, Rachel, Curtis, Ronald, Taylor, Margaret, Mary, Lorrie, Cantor Gene, Jonathan, Rosa, Frances, Maros, Alex, Ted, Eva.
· Hospitality signup sheet: Nov 26 – Janson family, Dec 3 – Ruby family, Dec 10 – open, Dec 17 – Amelia Baker. Please sign up for hospitality for the upcoming Sundays; the signup sheet is in the parish hall. Thank you to Prescott family for providing hospitality for us last Sunday.
· Blessed Feast of Saint Philip the Apostle to all of you.
· Volunteers needed for our Bake Sale event on December 2nd. Please sign up in the parish hall, or send an email to Fr. Francis.
· St. Philip’s Christmas Retreat, December 1-3. As we prepare for the days of light, feasts of the Nativity and Theophany of Our Lord, please join us for prayer and reflection with Fr. David Anderson of St. Peter’s Ukrainian Eastern Catholic Church in Ukiah. We will meet on Friday and Saturday evenings, and at our regular time on Sunday, for prayer followed by a talk by Fr. David. All are welcome.
· ST. PHILIP’S BAKE SALE ON DECEMBER 2ND. Come join us, bring family and friends. Lots of baked goods, small gift items, warm food served or to go, great opportunity get Christmas sweets and foods for your pantry, as well as spend time with one another. The day will begin with Divine Liturgy at 8 AM (with Fr. David), bake sale from 10 AM – 6 PM, Great Vespers at 6 PM, retreat talk by Fr. David at 7 PM.
· PILGRIM VOCATION ICON As we pray for the Lord to have mercy on our church and send us good and holy shepherds, remember especially the children and youth of our parish, for the grace to desire God’s will for their lives, and to discern and follow their vocation. Vocation icon schedule: Nov 19 – Burke family, Nov 26 – Mason family, Dec 3 – Prescott family, Dec 10 – Ruby family. (To sign up, please contact Jon & Abby Burke, or Fr. Francis.)
6:30 AM Divine Liturgy.
5:30 PM Divine Liturgy.
Presentation of the Holy Mother of God in the Temple. Solemn Feast.
9:00 AM Divine Liturgy.
8:30 AM Confessions.
9:30 AM Divine Liturgy.
25th Sunday after Pentecost. Tone 8.
Cantor: Tim Del Castillo, Amy Seyfried.
For Confession, please come half an hour before the scheduled services, or schedule an appointment.
During St. Philp’s Fast, we are obliged to observe abstinence from meat foods on Fridays. Let us remember one another as we offer our prayers and sacrifices to the Lord.
*** *** ***
· Iconography workshop: Come prepare for the Nativity of Christ with an icon-writing workshop at St. George Melkite Greek-Catholic Parish, 1620 Bell Street, Sacramento, CA 95825, on Wednesday, Dec 6th – Saturday, Dec 9th. The workshop will begin at 6:30 pm with the Divine Liturgy for the Feast of St. Nicholas. Tuition is $298. We will be painting the Theotokos of Sweet Kisses. For further information contact Raymond Vincent at email@example.com, or call or text (916)532-2453.