Slava Isusu Christu! Slava i vo viki! + Glory to Jesus Christ! Glory forever!
From the Fathers of the Church…
St. Maximus of Turin
Today, then, is another kind of birth of the Savior. We see him born with the same sort of signs, the same sort of wonders, but with greater mystery. The Holy Spirit, who was present to him then in the womb, now pours out upon him in the torrent. He who then purified Mary for him now sanctifies the running waters for him. The Father who then overshadowed in power now cries out with his voice. He who then, as if choosing the more prudent course, manifested himself as a cloud at the nativity now bears witness to the truth. So God says, “This is my beloved Son, in whom I am well pleased. Hear him.” Clearly the second birth is more excellent than the first. The one brought forth Christ in silence and without a witness. The other baptized the Lord gloriously with a profession of divinity. From the one, Joseph, thought to be the father, absents himself. At the other, God the Father, not believed in, manifests himself. In the one the mother labors under suspicion because in her condition she lacked a father. In the other she is honored because God attests to his Son.
· Last Sunday, 73 souls came to pray at St. Philip’s, our tithes to the Lord were $___, donations $___, Christmas $___, Christmas flowers $___, candles $__, Sidewalk repair $___. Thank you for supporting our church, may God bless you abundantly for your generosity. Please consider making St. Philip’s parish a part of your estate planning.
· Prayer requests. Fr. Jozef, Fr. Randall, Fr. Martin, Fr. Ted, Fr. Brendan, Sr. Patricia, Oceana, Gary and Ingrid, Margaret and Don, Walter, Adam, Joan, Margaret, Becky, Alexis, Marion, Rachel, Curtis, Ronald, Taylor, Margaret, Lorrie, Mary, Jude, Cantor Gene.
· Many blessing upon you and your families in the New Calendar Year 2017.
· Advisory board will meet for their regular monthly meeting next Sunday, January 8th. If you would like to add an agenda item, please contact Fr. Francis or one of the members: Elizabeth Baker, Tim Belke, Tim Del Castillo, Cantor Gene Ford, Ted Janson.
· Hospitality sign-up sheet: Jan 8 – Janson family, Jan 15 – Gene Ford, Jan 22 – Agayoff family. Please sign up for hospitality for the upcoming Sundays; the signup sheet is in the parish hall. Thank you to all who brought Christmas goodies to share for our potluck last Sunday.
· Icon-writing workshop at Holy Transfiguration Monastery, January 9-14th. No art experience necessary! Beginners and advanced students work alongside one another in this workshop, using the ancient methods of egg tempera and earth pigments. All materials provided. The cost: 5 days of instruction and meals $550 for those staying at the monastery, or $300 for commuters. Instructor: Raymond Vincent. For more info, visit http://www.monksofmttabor.com/icons
Thu Jan 5th
5:30 PM Vespers with Divine Liturgy of St. Basil the Great.
Vigil of Theophany. Day of Strict Fast.
Fri Jan 6th
5:30 PM Divine Liturgy. Great Blessing of Water.
Theophany of Our Lord. Holy Day of Obligation.
Sun Jan 8th
8:30 AM Confessions.
9 AM Prayers
9:30 AM Divine Liturgy.
Sunday after Theophany (34th after Pentecost).
For Confession, please come half an hour before the scheduled services, or schedule an appointment. Eve of Theophany is a day of strict fast (no meat, no dairy, one full meal and two smaller meals). This Friday is a feast of Theophany – no fasting. Let us remember one another in our prayers.