Slava Isusu Christu! Slava i vo viki! + Glory to Jesus Christ! Glory for ever!
From the Fathers of the Church…
Diadochus of Photike
Those who are engaged in spiritual warfare must always keep their hearts tranquil. Only then can the mind sift the impulses it receives and store in the treasure house of the memory those that are good and come from God, while rejecting altogether those that are perverse and devilish. “When the sea is calm, the fishermen’s eyes can see the movements of the fish deep down, so that hardly any of them can escape. But when the sea is ruffled by the wind, the turmoil of the waves hides from sight the creatures that would easily have been seen if the sea wore the smile of calm. The skill of the fisherman is of little use in rough weather. Something of the same sort happens with the soul, especially when it is stirred to the depths by anger. At the beginning of a storm, oil is poured on the waters to calm them, and in fact the oil defeats their commotion. In this way, when the soul receives the anointing of the gift of the Holy Spirit, it gladly gives in to this inexpressible and untroubled sweetness. And even if it is continually attacked by temptation it maintains its peace and joy.
· Last Sunday, 61 souls came to pray at St. Philip’s, our tithes to the Lord were $___, candles __, donations $___. Thank you for supporting our church, may God bless you abundantly for your generosity.
· Prayer requests. Fr. Jozef, Fr. Randall, Fr. Martin, Fr. Ted, Fr. Brendan, Sr. Patricia, Oceana, Gary and Ingrid, Margaret and Don, Walter, Adam, Joan, Margaret, Becky, Alexis, Marion, Rachel, Curtis, Ronald, Taylor, Margaret, Lorrie, Mary, Jude.
· Hospitality sign-up sheet: Oct 2 – Janson family, Oct 9 – Baker family. Please sign up for hospitality for the upcoming Sundays; the list is in the parish hall. Thank you to Agayoff family for providing hospitality for us last Sunday.
· Fall 2016 online Adult Education classes. Classes are taught by the Clergy of the Eparchy of Phoenix, for free through the Fuze online platform. Fuze is an online webinar system which allows for video and audio sharing on Windows, Mac or ISO devices, or calling in through a toll-free phone. Classes are from 7:00-8:00pm Pacific Time. All Classes Are Free. Tuesday night ongoing classes: Introduction to Eastern Christianity 9/20/16 – 11/1/16 • Fr. Milan Kasperek; Eastern Christian Spirituality, 11/8/16 – 12/13/16 • Fr. Joseph Stanichar. Thursday night Stand Alones: Reading the Sacred Scriptures, 9/29/16 • Fr. James Barrand; On the Holy Icons, 10/6/16 • Fr. Michael O’Loughlin; Life and Legacy of Blessed Theodore Romzha, 10/27/16 • Fr. Chris Zugger; The Traditions of Philip’s Fast, 11/10/16 • Fr. Anthony Hernandez; The Traditions of Christmas and Theophany, 12/15/16 • Fr. Michael Bezruchka. For more information or to register visit: http://eparchyofphoenix.org/faith_formation.html. Email Dcn. Basil Ryan Balke with questions or to register at firstname.lastname@example.org.
· Icon Workshop with Father Abbot Damian Higgins – Holy Transfiguration Monastery, Redwood Valley, CA. Dates: Nov. 7-13. Contact Br. Petro to sign up (email@example.com). Workshop begins after Vespers on the 7th. Donation to the Monastery of $550 includes Room & Board, all class materials and instruction. Egg tempera technique used, no art experience necessary. More advanced students will be allowed to further their experience with complex techniques.
· DISCOVER GOD’S GAME PLAN MEN 18-35 INVITED TO WEEKEND RETREAT AT SEMINARY 14 – 16 OCTOBER 2016. The Byzantine Catholic Seminary of Saints Cyril and Methodius is hosting a “Come and See” weekend for men ages 18 to 35 who may be considering a vocation to the priesthood in the Byzantine Catholic Church. The event runs from Friday evening, 14 October through Sunday afternoon, 16 October 2016 at the Seminary (3605 Perrysville Avenue) in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania. The weekend retreat is free of charge and will include sharing liturgical services and meals with the Seminary community, an introduction to the Seminary formation program, a tour of the Seminary, gatherings with the Seminarians, talks, and a panel discussion. The retreat is conducted in a “no pressure, no hard-sell” environment. The atmosphere is prayerful, positive, and fraternal. Any man seeking further information or wishing to register for this “Come and See” retreat of discovery is encouraged to contact his vocation director and use the online registration at http://www.bcs.edu. Deadline for registrations is the 29th of September.
6:30 AM Divine Liturgy.
5:30 PM Vespers.
8 AM Divine Liturgy.
Holy Protection of Mary. Solemn Feast.
8:30 AM Confessions.
9:00 AM Prayers
9:30 AM Divine Liturgy.
19th Sunday after Pentecost.
For Confession, please come half an hour before the scheduled services, or schedule an appointment. Fridays in general are days of penance, abstinence from meat foods is observed. Let us remember one another in our prayers.