Christos Voskres! Voistinu Voskres! + Christ is Risen! Indeed He is Risen!
From the Fathers of the Church …
Saint Caesarius of Arles
You ask me and say: if he entered through closed doors, where is the bulk of his body? And I reply, if he walked on the sea, where was the weight of his body? But he [walked on the sea] as the Lord. Did he, then, because he arose, cease to be the Lord? What about the fact that he also made Peter walk upon the sea? What divinity could do in the one, faith fulfilled in the other. Christ was able to do it, and Peter could because Christ willed it. Therefore, when you begin to examine the reasonableness of miracles by your human senses, fear that you may lose your faith. Do you not know that nothing is impossible for God? So when anyone tells you: if he entered through closed doors there was no body, answer him on the contrary, No, if he was touched there was body, and if he ate there was a body. The one thing he did by a miracle, the other by nature.
Saint Gregory of Nyssa
He did not remain in death’s power. The wounds that his body had received from the iron of the nails and spear offered no impediment to his rising again. After his resurrection he showed himself whenever he wanted to his disciples. When he wished to be present with them, he was in their midst without being seen, needing no entrance through open doors…. All of these occurrences, and whatever other similar facts we know about his life, require no further argument to show that they are signs of deity and of a sublime and supreme power.
· Last Sunday, 80 souls came to pray at St. Philip’s, our tithes to the Lord were $___, candles $__, donations $___, Easter collection: $___. Thank you for supporting our church, may God bless you abundantly for your generosity.
· Prayer requests. Fr. Jozef, Fr. Randall, Fr. Martin, Fr. Ted, Fr. Brendan, Sr. Patricia, Sr. Maria Rose OP, Oceana, Gary and Ingrid, Tom, Margaret and Don, Walter, Adam, Joan, Margaret, Becky, Alexis, Marion, Rachel, Curtis, Joseph, Theresa, Emily, Ronald, Janet, Michael, Taylor, Margaret, Lorrie, Mary, Jude.
· Hospitality sign-up sheet: Apr 10 – Baker family, Apr 17 – Lang family. Please sign up for hospitality for the upcoming Sundays; the list is in the parish hall. Thank you to all who shared their Easter goodies in potluck last Sunday.
· Bishop’s Appeal. Our goal this year is $____. Please prayerfully consider your contribution to the Appeal. Thank you in advance for your generosity. Your pledge cards are due in the parish office as soon as possible. Your contributions are to be made to “St. Philip the Apostle,” please mark your donation as “Bishop’s Appeal.” So far, we have received 14 responses (pledging together $____), and $____ in donations.
· St. Philip Parish retreat in Ukiah, April 22nd-24th. If you would like to sign up, there are 8 single rooms still open. The cost of accommodation is $160 for family room, $140 for couples, and $120 for single room. There is still room! Please sign up, deposit is due upon signing up (correction: make checks to St. Philip the Apostle, mark “retreat”).
6:30 AM Divine Liturgy.
8:30 AM Confessions.
9:10 AM Prayers.
9:30 AM Divine Liturgy.
For Confession, please come half an hour before the scheduled services, or schedule an appointment. We resume our abstinence from meat foods on Fridays this week.