Christos Voskres! Voistinu Voskres! + Christ is Risen! Indeed He is Risen!
From the Fathers of the Church …
St. Melito of Sardis
It is no way necessary in dealing with persons of intelligence to adduce the actions of Christ after his baptism as proof that his soul and his body, his human nature, were like ours, real and not phantasmal. The activities of Christ after his baptism, and especially his miracles, gave indication and assurance to the world of the deity hidden in his flesh. Being God and likewise perfect man, he gave positive indications of his two natures: of his deity, by the miracles during the three years following after his baptism, of his humanity, in the thirty years which came before his baptism, during which, by reason of his condition according to the flesh, he concealed the signs of his deity, although he was the true God existing before the ages.
For the Church, although dispersed throughout the whole world even to the ends of the earth, has received from the apostles and from their disciples the faith in one God, Father Almighty, the creator of heaven and earth and sea and all that is in them; and in one Jesus Christ, the Son of God, who became flesh for our salvation; and in the Holy Spirit, who announced through the prophets the dispensations and the comings, and the birth from a Virgin, and the passion, and the resurrection from the dead, and the bodily ascension into heaven of the beloved Christ Jesus our Lord, and his coming from heaven in the glory of the Father to reestablish all things; and the raising up again of all flesh of all humanity, in order that to Jesus Christ our Lord and God and Savior and King, in accord with the approval of the invisible Father, every knee shall bend of those in heaven and on earth and under the earth . . .
… Nevertheless, what cannot be said of anyone else who ever lived, that he is himself in his own right God and Lord . . . may be seen by all who have attained to even a small portion of the truth…
- Last Sunday, 63 souls came to pray at St. Philip’s. Our tithes to the Lord were $___, Home Missions collection: $____. Thank you for your generosity in giving to your church.
- Prayer requests. Fr. Randall, Fr. Martin, Fr. Ted, Fr. Brendan, Oceana, Gary and Ingrid, Tom, Margaret and Don, Walter, Margaret, Becky, Alexis, Agatha, Michael, Curtis, Joseph, Theresa, Emily, Ronald, Janet, Michael, George, Adam, Joanne and Bob, Taylor.
- Hospitality sign-up sheet: May 24 – Agayoff family, May 31 – Sean Baird and Joan Bridges, Jun 7 – Pineda family, Jun 14 – Long family. Please sign up for hospitality for the upcoming Sundays; the list is in the parish hall. Thank you to Baker family who provided hospitality for us last Sunday!
- Bishop’s Appeal 2015. Thank you for your generous support of our church. We have reached and exceeded our goal this year. So far, donations are $4,370 total, with 19 pledges submitted (14 pledges are completed, 5 pledges on payment schedule). Bishop’s Appeal ends on May 31st.
|Mon||May 18th||7:00 AM Divine Liturgy.|
|Sat||May 23rd||8:30 AM Divine Liturgy.||All-Souls Saturday.|
|Sun||May 24th||8:30 AM Confessions.
9: 10 AM Prayers.
9: 30 AM Divine Liturgy.
|Sunday of the Pentecost – Descend of the Holy Spirit.|
For Confession, please come half an hour before the scheduled services, or schedule an appointment.
Fridays in general are days of penance, simple abstinence from meat food is observed.
- Sacramento Catholic Forum presents Dr. Paul O’Reilly on The Wisdom of Genesis – talk and lunch at Red Lion Woodlake Hotel (500 Leisure Lane in Sacramento), on May 21st, check in begins at 11:30, talk begins at 12. The cost is $30. For more detail and to register, visit www.saccatholicforum.org