St. Philip the Apostle Byzantine Catholic Church
3866 65th street
Sacramento, CA 95820
O Holy Apostle Philip,
Intercede with the merciful God
That he may grant our souls forgiveness of sins.
Glory to Jesus Christ! Glory for ever! + Slava Isusu Christu! Slava i vo viki!
From the Fathers of the Church …
St. Gregory of Nazianzus
Let us praise the Son first of all, venerating the blood that expiated our sins. He lost nothing of his divinity when he saved me, when like a good physician he stooped to my festering wounds. He was a mortal man, but he was also God. He was of the race of David but Adam’s creator, He who has no body clothed himself with flesh, He had a mother who, nonetheless, was a virgin, He who is without bounds bound himself with the cords of our humanity, He was victim and high priest—yet he was God. He offered up his blood and cleansed the whole world. He was lifted up on the cross, but it was sin that was nailed to it. He became as one among the dead, but he rose from the dead, raising to life also many who had died before him. On the one hand, there was the poverty of his humanity; on the other, the riches of his divinity. Do not let what is human in the Son permit you wrongfully to detract from what is divine. For the sake of the divine, hold in the greatest honor the humanity, which the immortal Son took on himself for love of you.
- Last Sunday, 52 souls came to pray at St. Philip’s. Our tithes to the Lord were ____ Thank you for your generosity in giving to your church.
- Prayer requests. Oceana, Gary and Ingrid, Tom, Margaret and Don, Walter, Margaret, Becky, Alexis, Darlene, Agatha, Michael, Curtis, Joseph, Theresa, Emily, Ronald, Janet, Rosanne, Connie, Michael, George, Adam, Fr. Martin.
- Hospitality sign-up sheet: Sep 14 – Theresa Vinciquerra, Sep 21 – Prescott family, Sep 28 – Lang family. Please sign up for hospitality for the upcoming Sundays; the list is in the parish hall. Thank you to Baker family for providing hospitality for us last Sunday!
- OUR SUNDAY LITURGY TIME CHANGED, now we begin Divine Liturgy at 9:30 AM (preceded by confessions at 8:30, and prayers at 9).
- Regarding the Fast on Sunday, September 14, 2014. In the Byzantine Catholic Eparchy of Phoenix, Sunday is never observed as a fast day as we joyfully celebrate the Resurrection of Our Lord. Each Sunday is a “little” Pascha. Normally, the Solemn Feast of the Exaltation of the Holy Cross is by tradition a day of strict fast. While this is no longer mandatory, minimally all should keep this day as a day of abstinence from meat. We should all try to do more than the bare minimum. Since the Solemn Feast of the Exaltation of the Holy Cross falls on a Sunday this year, no fasting is to be observed on that Sunday. The fast is transferred to the previous Friday, September 12th. By order of the Bishop.
- Special Priests’ Medical Insurance Collection. On Sunday October 5th, the Sunday after the feast of our eparchial patroness, the Holy Protection of Mary, our Eparchy will once again take a special collection to help subsidize the medical insurance of our pastors. Your outstanding generosity in the previous three collections have been extremely helpful. Bishop Gerald, thankful as always, asks each household to pray and consider what it can contribute this year. Medical insurance premiums are very expensive and still on the rise. How does our little Eparchy manage to pay this monthly premium? The parishes pay a large portion of the premium for their priest while the Eparchy picks up the difference which also includes 7 active and retired priests not assigned to parishes. In order to save money, we established a policy that priests who reach 65 years of age will be transferred to Medicare with the Eparchy providing a supplemental insurance. The bottom line is that our priests’ premiums collectively have increased by $4,000 per month or $48,000 for the year! Over the next three weeks, Eparchial Factoids will be presented to help you understand our circumstances. God bless your continued support and generosity!
|Mon||Sep 8th||5:30 PM Divine Liturgy.||Nativity of the Holy Mother of God. Solemn Feast.|
|Sun||Sep 14th||8:30 AM Confessions.
9:10 AM Prayers.
9:30 AM Divine Liturgy.
|Exaltation of the Holy Cross.
For Confession, please come half an hour earlier to scheduled services, or schedule an appointment.
This Friday is a day of penance and abstinence, in observance of the feast of Exaltation. Strict abstinence (from meat and dairy foods) is observed. Let us remember one another as we offer prayers and sacrifices to God.
- Shalom Festival 2014. A one-day retreat with talks, music, testimonies, and prayer will take place on September 13th, at St. John the Evangelist Catholic Church in Carmichael (5751 Locust Ave), 8:30 AM – 6 PM, registration fee $30 includes lunch. For more information, and to register, call: (215) 366-3031, or visit: www.shalomworld.org