St. Philip the Apostle Byzantine Catholic Church
3866 65th street
Sacramento, CA 95820
O Holy Apostle Philip,
Intercede with the merciful God
That he may grant our souls forgiveness of sins.
Glory to Jesus Christ! Glory for ever! + Slava Isusu Christu! Slava i vo viki!
From the Fathers of the Church …
St. Caesarius of Arles
What does this mean, “take up a cross”? It means he will bear with whatever is troublesome, and in this very act he will be following me. When he has begun to follow me according to my teaching and precepts, he will find many people contradicting him and standing in his way, many who not only deride but even persecute him. Moreover, this is true, not only of pagans who are outside the church, but also of those who seem to be in it visibly, but are outside of it because of the perversity of their deeds. Although these glory in merely the title of Christian, they continually persecute faithful Christians. Such belong to the members of the church in the same way that bad blood is in the body. Therefore, if you wish to follow Christ, do not delay in carrying his cross; tolerate sinners, but do not yield to them. Do not let the false happiness of the wicked corrupt you. You do well to despise all things for the sake of Christ, in order that you may be fit for his companionship.
- Last Sunday, 46 souls came to pray at St. Philip’s. Our tithes to the Lord were ___, clergy medical collection __. Thank you for your generosity in giving to your church.
- Prayer requests. Oceana, Gary and Ingrid, Tom, Margaret and Don, Walter, Margaret, Becky, Alexis, Darlene, Agatha, Michael, Curtis, Joseph, Theresa, Emily, Ronald, Janet, Rosanne, Connie, Michael, George, Adam, Fr. Martin , Bishop John (Pazak).
- Hospitality sign-up sheet: Sep 28 – Lang family, Oct 5 – Burke family, Oct 12 – Baker family. Please sign up for hospitality for the upcoming Sundays; the list is in the parish hall. Thank you to Teresa Vinciguerra for providing hospitality for us last Sunday!
- Special Priests’ Medical Insurance Collection will be taken on Sunday, October 5th. Eparchial Factoid: Did you know that last year it cost the Eparchy over $___for medical insurance for both active and retired priests? This year we estimate the cost will increase by another $____. We have been blessed these last three years by your generous and loving contributions of over $___ to this special priests’ medical insurance collection. Bishop and all the priests continue to thank God for each of you. Be as generous as you can in support of our special priests’ medical insurance collection on Sunday, October 5th. Our goal is $__ per household.
|Mon||Sep 22nd||6:30 AM Divine Liturgy.|
|Wed||Sep 24th||5:30 PM Vespers.|
|Sun||Sep 28th||8:30 AM Confessions.
9:10 AM Prayers.
9:30 AM Divine Liturgy.
|16th Sunday after Pentecost. Tone 7.|
For Confession, please come half an hour earlier to scheduled services, or schedule an appointment.
Fridays in general are days of penance, simple abstinence from meat foods is observed. Let us remember one another as we offer prayers and sacrifices to God.
Sacramento Events …
- St. George Melkite Church in Sacramento invites you to Eden to Eden: a Walk through the Bible through the lens of Salvation History – Lunch and discussion with Subdeacon Sebastian Carnazzo, Saturday, September 27th from noon to 5:00pm. Come and take a walk through the stories of the Bible, from Eden to Eden, through the lens of Salvation History. You will be amazed at how much you will learn about the Bible and your faith in just one afternoon. Dr. Carnazzo is a Melkite Subdeacon who lectures extensively on our Eastern Catholic Orthodox faith. In addition to founding an academy dedicated to the continuing education of clergy, he also teaches at the Eparchy’s Diaconate Program. No charge for lunch or attendance; of course, a freewill donation to St. George church is always appreciated!