St. Philip the Apostle Byzantine Catholic Church
3866 65th street
Sacramento, CA 95820
O Holy Apostle Philip,
Intercede with the merciful God
That he may grant our souls forgiveness of sins.
Glory to Jesus Christ! Glory for ever! + Slava Isusu Christu! Slava i vo viki!
From the Fathers of the Church …
St. John Chrysostom
A virgin, a tree and a death were the symbols of our defeat. The virgin was Eve: she had not yet known man; the tree was the tree of the knowledge of good and evil; the death was Adam’s penalty. But behold again a Virgin and a tree and a death, those symbols of defeat, become the symbols of his victory. For in place of Eve there is Mary; in place of the tree of the knowledge of good and evil, the tree of the Cross; in place of the death of Adam, the death of Christ. Do you see him defeated by the very things through which he had conquered? At the foot of the tree the devil overcame Adam; at the foot of the tree Christ vanquished the devil. And that first tree sent men to Hades; this second one calls back even those who had already gone down there. Again, the former tree concealed man already despoiled and stripped; the second tree shows a naked victor on high for all to see. And that earlier death condemned those who were born after it; this second death gives life again to those who were born before it. Who can tell the Lord’s mighty deeds? By death we were made immortal: these are the glorious deeds of the Cross.
- Last Sunday, 66 souls came to pray at St. Philip’s. Our tithes to the Lord were ____, clergy medical collection 40. Thank you for your generosity in giving to your church.
- Prayer requests. Oceana, Gary and Ingrid, Tom, Margaret and Don, Walter, Margaret, Becky, Alexis, Darlene, Agatha, Michael, Curtis, Joseph, Theresa, Emily, Ronald, Janet, Rosanne, Connie, Michael, George, Adam, Fr. Martin , Bishop John (Pazak).
- Hospitality sign-up sheet: Sep 21 – Prescott family, Sep 28 – Lang family, Oct 5 – Burke family, Oct 12 – Baker family. Please sign up for hospitality for the upcoming Sundays; the list is in the parish hall. Thank you to Belke family for providing hospitality for us last Sunday!
- Special Priests’ Medical Insurance Collection will be taken on Sunday, October 5th. Eparchial Factoid: Your generous response to last year’s medical insurance collection raised over $_______ to offset the Eparchy’s cost of $_______. Your sacrifice is deeply appreciated. Once again we ask your generous assistance as we take up this special collection on Sunday, October 5th. Our goal is $__ per household. Your continued generosity is a blessing both for our Eparchy and her priests who serve you in so many ways!
- BISHOP APPEAL REBATE:
Dear Fr. Francis & Parishioners,
Congratulations on reaching your Bishop’s Appeal Goal this year! Once again, I am overwhelmed by the tremendous generosity of our parishioners of the Eparchy. This year we not only reached our goal of $_____, but exceeded it by $_____ for a grand total of $______! I dare say that our small Eparchy has even outshined the efforts of the other Eparchies in our Metropolia whose faithful number ten, fifteen times more that we. I am very proud and appreciative of our families’ contributions. All are to be commended.
The policy of our eparchial bishops has been to return a thirty percent rebate on the total Bishop Appeal income to those parishes that have reached/surpassed their goal. As you Bishop, I am very pleased to continue this tradition. It is with great pleasure that now I can send you the enclosed rebate check for $______.
According to the norms of the Eparchial Pastoral Handbook, I remind you that no Cathedraticum is to be paid on this amount. The sacrificial generosity of the parishioner now totally benefits their parish in return.
Finally, I wish to thank Sister Christopher, OSBM for her hard work and energy in organizing and directing the Bishop’s Appeal again this year. I wish to thank all those who have been able to make this year’s Appeal a success not only for the Eparchy, but also you for your parish. May the God bless your generosity.
Most Reverend Gerald N. Dino, Bishop of the Eparchy of Phoenix.
- Liturgical schedule
|Mon||Sep 15th||6:30 AM Divine Liturgy.|
|Wed||Sep 17th||5:30 PM Vespers.|
|Sun||Sep 21st||8:30 AM Confessions.
9:10 AM Prayers.
9:30 AM Divine Liturgy.
|Sunday after the Exaltation of the Holy Cross. Tone 6.|
For Confession, please come half an hour earlier to scheduled services, or schedule an appointment.
Fridays in general are days of penance, simple abstinence from meat foods is observed. Let us remember one another as we offer prayers and sacrifices to God.
Sacramento Events …
- St. George Melkite Church in Sacramento invites you to Eden to Eden: a Walk through the Bible through the lens of Salvation History – Lunch and discussion with Subdeacon Sebastian Carnazzo, Saturday, September 27th from noon to 5:00pm. Come and take a walk through the stories of the Bible, from Eden to Eden, through the lens of Salvation History. You will be amazed at how much you will learn about the Bible and your faith in just one afternoon. Dr. Carnazzo is a Melkite subdeacon who lectures extensively on our Eastern Catholic Orthodox faith. In addition to founding an academy dedicated to the continuing education of clergy, he also teaches at the Eparchy’s Diaconate Program. No charge for lunch or attendance; of course, a freewill donation to St. George church is always appreciated!